Saturday, January 15, 2011

Old Fashion Treat - Snow Cream

Tipper over at Blind Pig & the Acorn got me in the mood for some old fashioned snow cream the other day.

We made this all the time when I was young. I'd go outside in the cold and come back with a pan overflowing with freshly fallen snow.

First, gather up all your ingredients you will need.
milk, sugar, vanilla, measuring  spoons, large bowl and spoon



Bring in your pan full of clean snow. Find a good, undisturbed area to get it from. I used a large pan. Charley filled it full, so I took a little out of it for later use if I needed it.



Put in your sugar ( I used a cup full)



Put in your vanilla ( I used 2 Tablespoons)



Put in your milk ( I used a little over a cup full) I used skim milk, but 2% or whole milk would make a richer snowcream.



Stir it all together.



If it is too thin, add more of the snow that you set aside.



Spoon out into bowls and enjoy. It is very good. My boys were right there at my side waiting for a taste.




It has the consistency somewhat like soft serve ice cream. Put any leftovers into the freezer to eat later. It gets very hard in the freezer, you will have to let it soften a little before you spoon it out.

Do any of you have memories of making snow cream?

8 comments:

  1. Hi, I stumbled across your blog. We LOVE snow cream! Great tutorial.

    Cathy @ Country Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow cream is always so good and such a treat on a snow day from school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love snow cream, but haven't made it in years. My dad still makes it everytime it snows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I NEVER heard of this! Neither had my husband who used to live on a farm and make homemade icecream. And you really eat the snow??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Terri you really eat the snow. Snow cream is very good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loveeee snow ice cream, lots of good memories making this with my Mom in GA (on the rare occasion we'd get snow)and making it with my boys in MI (lots of snow to work with!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! I'm glad you made some too : ) Thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.