Friday, July 22, 2011

Food Friday - Squash recipes

I'm sure most of you who have gardens have an excess of squash right about now. Seems like you can't wait until you pick your first one from the garden, but it doesn't take too long to get tired of having them. My husband says, "cook them every night, so they won't go bad." He doesn't seem to realize that kids (and I) get tired of having them every night. So we have had squash casseroles, fried squash, squash bread, squash patties and squash cubes/tomatoes and onions. But, it hasn't worked - I am getting tired of eating squash!

I have a couple of recipes to share with you:

Squash Cubes/Tomato and Onions



Squash Cubes/Tomato and Onions

1 or 2 squash
1 onion sliced
2 tomatoes peeled and chopped
2 T. butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp sugar

Boil the whole unpeeled squash in water for 15 to 20 minutes (until just tender). Cut into 1" cubes. While the squash is cooking, melt butter in skillet, add onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes and add tomatoes and cook over low heat, covered for 5 minutes. Add cubed squash,  salt, sugar and pepper and cook over low heat, stirring ocassionally, for 15 minutes.

Squash Patties


 Squash Patties

1 cup Bisquick
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese
1/8 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups shredded or finely chopped squash
2 T. chopped onion
1 T. butter

Combine Bisquick, cheese,  salt, eggs, squash and onion in a mixing bowl. Blend well. Melt butter in a large skillet. Spoon heaping tablespoons of squash mixture into skillet. Fry for 3 - 5 minutes per side, until golden brown.

Enjoy your squash!

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great recipes. I've been looking for ways to fix them also. I get tired of eating them everyday too, but hate to see them go to waste.. I'm going to copy these down.. Thanks again, susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipes Janet! We love them several different ways but my favorite is to cut them up in chucks and boil them like you would for mashed potatoes. Drain when soft and mash with potato masher. Put into large cast iron skillet and add salt, pepper, a big scoop of butter and some milk. Turn them on low heat. They will be a bit runny but you just cook them on low stirring from time to time until the cook down to a thick consistency like mashed potatoes. We love to eat them like this as a side dish or eat them on hit biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janet! Those squash patties look soooo good! You have been have been posting some wonderful recipes. Hope you have a lovely evening ahead. Delisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They all look yummy and I never tire of eating squash. Plus they're so good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'll try the squash patties; would frozen squash yield the same results? I had ONE squash this year! ONE! But I do have a box or two in the freezer. Our gardening weather was a total failure this year -- too wet, now too dry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, lil red hen, I can't believe you only had one squash this year. If you lived near me, I'd give you a bunch. I don't know about using frozen squash, it might be kinda hard to shred or chop them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Delisa, those squash patties look yummy! Adding that shredded cheese is what caught my eye! Hmmm. . . a little oregano, basil, red pepper. Ooops, I turned the patty into an omelet!

    Thanks for the recipes, Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janet -- Well the garden was planted late so -- no winter or summer squash yet. But I like the cubed recipe so I will be trying it as it comes in. My favorite squash is butternut and I must say I do not get tired of eating it every night. A summer squash I like is patty pan and I believe it would be good in your cube recipe. Thanks -- barbaa

    ReplyDelete
  9. I appreciate the recipes. I live pretty far North so my squash isn't quite ready, but it won't be long!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the recipes!
    Have you tried dehydrating squash slices?
    You can dehydrate them and seal them up in a jar or something and use them for soups and such during the winter. Or just munch on them whenever. I tried it this year and love the idea. Now I don't have to worry about them going to waste. Just clean, slice and place in the dehydrater and forget about them for awhile. If you put salt or something on them, only sprinkle on one side. I found out the hard way that sprinkling both sides is too much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My squash runneth over too : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for these recipes. Trying the patties tonight!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.