Thursday, November 19, 2009

FOOD FRIDAY - Sweet Potato Casserole



I've got a great recipe for you today to make on Thanksgiving Day.
In my family, it wouldn't by Thanksgiving without a Sweet Potato Casserole.

Since I won't be making this until next week, I don't have any pictures to share with you.

I'm posting it today in case you want to make it next week for your dinner.

It is soooo good!

SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE

4 LBS sweet potatoes

Cook sweet potatoes. Drain and mash with mixer and add the following ingredients:

1 cup of sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup melted butter

Mix together and put in baking dish.

Mix the following ingredients for topping:

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Spoon topping on and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.


I tell you it is so good, I could almost eat the whole thing. Now you know why I gain weight during the holidays. But, I will try to leave some for everyone else. My kids didn't like the idea of a sweet potato casserole until one time they helped me make it. When they saw all the good stuff going into it, they tried it, and they love it as much as I do.

Another good recipe for Thanksgiving Day is pecan pie muffins. Go here for that recipe.

What's your favorite Thanksgiving Day dish?

9 comments:

  1. "Good Friday" ? oh, no, not this time!

    Then I read it again, its "Food Friday".

    My eyes gone?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI JANET,
    That does sound good, I put sweet potatoes on my list for the big day.
    I do wish you the best in your writting. Don't forget about me when you become famous!
    Nancy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sweet potato casserole sounds yummy! I've never made Pecan Pie Muffins, but they sound like some I had a few years ago and couldn't get enough of. I will definitely try them.
    Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make this every year.
    I got the recipe from a friend in Charlotte, NC.
    My favorite dish? Hmmm, I'm thinking dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have that every year, the only difference is the topping. My wife uses a crushed corn flakes and fluff combination.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janet-sounds like the one Granny makes-yummy : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Janet! I'm playing some catch up this morning! Got caught up on you! THOSE ORNAMENTS are AWESOME!
    I'm making those Pecan Muffins for sure but I'd get fired If I didn't make Jack Daniels Sweet Potatoes on Thanksgiving! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We already had our Thanksgiving dinner on past Wed. because I have to work straight through the holiday and Trina will pick the boys up and take them with her for Thanksgiving. I have tried sweet potato casseroles and they are good, but my family still prefers old fashioned candied sweet potatoes. I will try yours though, it is a little different than I've made before. Tried your muffins and they are great.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.