Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Fried Apples

Our neighbor has an apple tree loaded with what I call early June apples.
I walked back from her house toting a bag full of the tart apples yesterday afternoon.

I think of Mom every time I fry apples. She loved fried apples. When our apples were coming on, I can still see her sitting at the kitchen table peeling, coring and slicing apples for frying. My kids always came in the kitchen and she would slice off a piece and hand it to them for tasting. It's a wonder we ever had enough to cook, but we did.




Put butter in the skillet, dump the apples in and top with sugar to taste. With these apples it may take quite a bit of sugar. They don't take long to cook up. Taste them while cooking to see if you need to add more sugar or not.


They aren't the best for frying if you like firm fried apples. But I don't care if they turn to mush, they are still good.


Bake some drop biscuits and top with the fried apples. Add a spray or pat of butter if you like.
Mmmmm Mmmmmm. They are slightly tart, but oh so good!



Leftovers, if there are any, are great for breakfast! Spread them on toast or biscuits and enjoy.

14 comments:

  1. Yum! That looks delicious, Janet!

    We saw lots of raspberries along the road the other day. I am hoping to pick some on Thursday when I'm back up in the northern panhandle. I wish I had some of those plants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, those look so good and mouth watering! I love fried apples with gravy and biscuits. Somtimes I would just love to taste of my Mom's again. No one can cook quit like your mother and I guess you will always miss it when she is gone. Thank for sharing with us.

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fried apples! My grandmother would fry them on the wood stove in a big black cast-iron skillet. They would make a thick syrup and she fried them till they were brown around the edges. Mom would never fry hers that long, though. I think I always loved Grandma's best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The one thing my Granny could make good was fried apple pies. She cooked her apples like this and made a dough like making biscuit, pinch off small balls of it and roll them out flat then put a large spoonful of mix in the middle and folded over, pinch edges together and fry in small amount of shortening in a black skillet, hummm good.
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm! Never had fried apples. Gonna have to try that. Can I use Granny Smith's? Thanks for always sharing. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Janet, your mom did love fried apples. I believe grandma could fry the best I ever ate, they were always good and brown. Grandma loved them too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy!

    I'm going to try this with the apples that fall from the tree in my teeny tiny town back yard . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Jan, I think we all think of Mom when we have fried apples. I remember that Aunt Irma would always have fried apples when she knew Mom was coming visiting. I've really missed her lately, since July 4th is her birthday. I sure wish she was still here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fried apples are so good, and like you..bring back memories of my Mom..She made them for us all through the years..and she made delicious little fried apple pies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy...reminds me of my mother's fried apple pies in the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Carol - my mother would have been making fried pies. I can taste them now! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  12. Janet-I love fried apples too. One of my favorite winter time suppers-is fried apples, bisucits, pork chops, and stewed potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of the things I miss about WV.....JUNE APPLES. They are my favorite! I prefer them right off the tree, but I will eat a biscuit or two with fried apples. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.