Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Peanut Butter Chews

You are only four ingredients away from a delicious, easy to make treat.





Peanut Butter Chews

1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup sugar
6oz (3/4 cup) peanut butter
2 1/2 cups cornflakes

Put corn syrup and sugar in pan. Stir over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Take off the heat and stir in the peanut butter until mixture is creamy and then stir in the corn flakes. Empty into a rectangular pan and smooth out with a spoon.

Let cool a little (although these are delicious to eat while still warm) and cut into squares.
This recipe makes 12 pieces. If you want, you can easily double the recipe.





Did you ever have these on the menu at your grade school?
(Some mysteriously disappeared before I took this picture)




Our school principal would come to each table and dismiss us whenever everyone  was finished eating. If she saw that someone never tried an item on their plate, she would make you take at least one bite of it before she let the children at that table be excused to go on their lunch recess.  This is one item that she never had to worry about being left on our plate. Everyone loved them!

12 comments:

  1. I am not sure what corn syrup is, so will have to source it here in Cyprus. I do so want to make them, they look scrummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glynis,it is what you use when you make pecan pies. Karo is the brand I always buy. Don't know if they have Karo syrup in Cyprus or not, though. Hope you find some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have googled, and think it is what we call Golden Syrup in the UK. Golden and Black treacle, I can get here. Off shopping tomorrow! ;0

    ReplyDelete
  4. We call these "No Bake Peanut Butter Cornflakes Cookies". I drop mine in teaspoons onto waxed paper. This is my Sons FAVORITE cookie in the world. Everyone try them they are delicious.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. These would be dangerous in my house. Yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why couldn't you melt chocolate chips and frost these in the pan.
    I love chocolate and peanut butter & chocolate together can't be beat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh, chocolate would be good on them. I also love chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum...I want some!!! I've heard of chocolate chips on top too! They melt and make it yummier!
    Warmly
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting -- I made up a recipe similar to yours. It contains honey, steel cut oats (uncooked) peanut butter, and raisins -- bake at low oven heat -- eat. I imagine it tastes somewhat like yours. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum!!! And the good thing is I think I have all of this in my kitchen right now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never seen these before.
    I'll be trying this!! I think I have everything on hand now. Yay!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.