Thursday, September 3, 2009

Apple Pie Jam

I bet right about now you all are thinking that I stay in the kitchen.
Well, you're right. This week I have been in the kitchen all day, every day.
I sometimes wish there were two of me, one to sit out on the porch and enjoy this nice weather and one to stay inside and do all the work.

I'm not going to take credit for this jam. I found the recipe over at Coleen's Recipes. Since I was in the kitchen anyway, I just had to try it out.

6 cups peeled and diced Granny Smith apples

I used these little rusty yellow apples
that fell off of our tree.






1/2 cup of water
1/2 tsp butter
3 cups white sugar
2 cups brown sugar packed
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 small box powdered fruit pectin


Cook apples, water and butter over low heat, stirring until apples are soft, but not mushy. Stir in pectin and bring to a boil. Add sugars and cinnamon and stir constantly until mixture comes to a boil again. Boil for one minute. Remove from heat and skim off foam (if there is any). Pour into hot jars, leaving 1/4" head space. Process jars in boiling water bath for 10 minutes. This makes (7) 1/2 pints.

I spread it on toast this morning for a taste.



Is it good? Does it taste like apple pie? Would I recommend it?



Yes, yes and yes!


These would be good to put in a gift basket.

Have you ever made apple pie jam before?

17 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh does that ever look YUMMY!!!!! I CAN ALMOST TASTE IT.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it would be good to put in a gift basket....you can put one in mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of apple jam but it looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dessert in a jar!! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks way to yummy! I am going to have to try to get some apples so I can try this! Thanks for sharing this recipe with us! By the way, I made your german chocolate icing the other day and it was perfect! Thanks for that recipe too!

    Hugs,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janet,
    This apple pie jam sounds so delicious. I love food with cinnamon and brown sugar. I would love to try this recipe if I made jelly. My mother made some apple jelly this morning and it was so good. Thanks for sharing this recipe. The jam looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Caught the recipe this morning while visiting and went and got the ingredients to make myself a batch.

    Just one word...YUMMY!!!!

    So easy and so delish,
    Thanks for sharing,
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl!!When I saw this my mouth went to a watering...I am definately gonna try this!!!
    could you use other apples to???

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, glad you all like the recipe. Angela, I'm glad you tried my german chocolate icing, it is very good.
    Rosemary, glad you liked it, too. Andora I suppose you could use other apples, it called for granny smith and I used our little apples from our tree and they aren't granny smith.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love apple anything! This looks great and I might have to try it during the colder months. Someone is always giving me apples and I just eat them or bake pies. Your recipe will give me the opportunity to try something else with them. Thanks for sharing. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I make this too, Janet and next to the pear conserve it's my favorite. They taste very much alike, actually. You are right, it tastes just like apple pie. On a biscuit, heaven! I never had a recipe, I just figured it out on my own because it made sense--just followed the recipe for pear jam and used apples, added cinnamon and nutmeg and there it was.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of the things I miss about WV, is the apple trees. It seems almost everyone had an apple tree in their yard. Down here, you seldom see an apple tree. I would love to have one or two of the old time apple trees, like your apple are from.
    I miss going to the apple tree and picking myself a snack.
    I WILL be trying this recipe, but I'll have to buy some Granny Smith apples.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my this looks delicious! Thanks for posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have some apples just like that, but I don't think we have enough to make the jam. :o(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! You have left out the step of adding the sugars and cimmamon. Just thought I would let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, anonymous! Don't know how that happened, but I fixed it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.