Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Jelly Time!

My berries aren't gone yet, but my grapes are ready to pick! I didn't know they were ready, a lot of them had been dying (it's been too wet). I was afraid I wouldn't have enough to make jelly.
I was wrong.


I always use Sure Jell to make my jelly. Just follow the instructions, it's very easy.
Here's my stove all ready to go. The little pan is for the lids, the large one in the back is for sterilizing my jars, and the one on the right is to cook the jelly mixture in.



Put your grapes in the pan and smash them, add 1 1/2 cups of water, bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. And please watch the pot, don't let it boil over like I did.




This is what I use to strain my grape juice. I put cheesecloth over an old aluminum colander and set it over a bowl. I pour my boiled grape mixture into it and let it drain. I always use more grapes than it says to, then I don't have to wait and wait to get the amount of juice needed. There's always plenty and it's quick! You need 5 cups of prepared juice.




My jars are waiting. I use the old aluminum funnel that mom used when she made jelly years ago.


Put Sure Jell into the 5 cups of juice and bring to a boil. Then add the 7 cups of sugar and bring to a boil again and boil for 1 minute.


Skim off the foam.



And here is your end result. Delicious grape jelly! I like it better than blackberry jelly, but don't tell anyone.


I've always turned my jelly jars upside down for 5 minutes, then turn them upright again. They tell you not to do this, but I've always did it this way and never had a problem. But feel free to follow the instructions and do the boiling water bath if you want to. My jars are all sealed and ready to spread on toast. Yummy!

Oh, by the way, I forgot to tell everybody that the kitty now has a home. Granny Sue's husband came and got the kitty cat.

13 comments:

  1. That brings back memories. Mom used to make grape jelly when I was growing up.
    Nice post.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really good,my mom uses one of those funnels still,she is 73 years old and I can always remember her using it..she still does her grape jelly from her own grapes too..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, grape jelly is my favorite too. That looks amazing and I love that you showed pictures of the process. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really yummy. I like that you showed pictures of the process too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that the kitty found a good home to go to!

    I've never made grape jelly before and I don't think I have ever had it from someone who made it homemade either. I did tell my husband a month ago that I would like to start some grapes in our yard just to see how it goes. It hasn't happened yet! lol

    We went to Canaan Valley again this past weekend. When I was looking to see what was going on in the area I found that their blueberries and blackberries were supposed to be in season. Notice I said supposed to be! lol We did find some blueberry bushes but the berries were the size of a bee bee and they were as hard as rocks! Some hadn't turned blue yet either. The blackberries that we did find were still red and they were very small also. I guess all of the rain with not much sun just didn't do well for them. I had high hopes though! lol

    Hugs,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make it look so easy. Wish I had a grape arbor here on the farm. I'll have to check into how they do down here. I mostly hear of muscadine grapes here. Maybe that is the kind I should try to grow. I love grape jelly.
    Glad Mr. Granny Sue gave the kitty a home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You made that look so easy. Wilma and I were wondering just last night if concord grapes were ripe yet, she makes concord grape pies, they say they are delicous, I have never tried them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vera, the concord grape pies are delicious, I've made them before. Jelly making is easy once you get the hang of it. Just make sure you get all your supplies gathered and ready before you start.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't made jelly or jam in years but Hubby tols me this morning he want to make a Muscidine grape arbor so I do see it coming again in my future! HA!
    Yours looks wonderful but I'm a Blackberry Jam girl myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you've been busy with the grapes. I'm glad you found a home for the kitty. Tell Andrew I cooked some of his potatoes today and they are really good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been making grape jelly this week too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for coming back and visiting my blog! I lost track of yours, but I am back. I love this post on jelly making. Wishing that we had some grapes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, we made grape jelly this weekend too. It came out beautifully. I made some mixed with my white grapes and purple grapes, some grape and elderberry, some white grape, elderberry and orange juice (because I didn't have quite enough of the other two juices) and some plain elderberry. I'll be posting photos this week. My daughter-in-law came to learn how, and she did most of the cooking part. She did a great job.

    The kitty is doing fine. Otis (our black lab) is trying hard to be friends, but so far the cat isn't willing to let him get too close!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.