Sunday, April 20, 2014

Yard Art from Old Valve Handles


My son and I (well actually my son) have been making flowers from old valve handles.

They are so pretty! You don't have to worry about dry spells, frosts or deer eating them, either. Which is a big plus around here.

We already had the old valve handles. Andrew bought long metal rods and cut them into different lengths.

Then he got out his blacksmith coal forge and put the ends of the rods in the fire to get red hot. Everyone needs one of these forges. I bet you could roast a marshmallow in no time.


Then he made a wooden form to shape the metal rods while they were still hot.


While I was out running around, he got out his welder and welded the old valve handles onto the tops of the metal rods that he had bent to look like a flower stem.

Here they are all lined up, painted and waiting for their button middle to be attached.


Do you think I have enough buttons to pick from?

 

Here they are planted in various locations around my yard:


 
I love the tiny blue ones with the yellow centers. They remind me of bluets.




 
I put a big brown button in the tall yellow one to make it look like a sunflower.




I dare a drought, frost or animal to mess with these flowers.

Have you ever made yard art before?

Posted byJanet Smart on Writing in the Blackberry Patch.




24 comments:

  1. Yes I do have four large flowers from old plough wheels. Mine are painted blue, yellow and green. I love them--sometimes it is hard to find the old parts though;
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I bet those are pretty! I'm going to be on the lookout for more items to use.

      Delete
  2. You guys did lovely job with the flowers. I plan to try some yard art when I find a house to call my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dan. Good luck on finding you a place to call your own.

      Delete
  3. What a clever and creative use of valves. I've never made yard art, but I admire those who do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neat idea! How nice to have someone help with your projects! I like using old things in my flower beds; make nice conversation pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cool! They look great in your garden. I love to repurpose items into something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri. I'm on the lookout now for other things to use our imagination with.

      Delete
  6. HI Janet,
    That is very clever, I would start myself on fire, but nice that you and your son had such success with it. Very cute.
    Nancy Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy. We'd had those valves for a while. His forge and welder came in handy. And, yes, you do have to be careful around the fire.

      Delete
  7. Very clever flowers. Your son is an artist with that forge. Like the look in your garden patches. My daughters and I (I'm not much help) bought cement round pavers from a cement manufacturer and smeared them with fresh cement and then had a bunch of beads etc that my grandchildren designed into art work on the pavers. The pavers went home to our gardens.. Good post -- barbara -- FOLKWAYS NOTEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara. I bet your pavers look nice. We've made those before, too.

      Delete
  8. Wow! I am impressed with this art work. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so cool! I'd never have thought of it, Kudos to you and Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only place I've seen yard art is at our Cultural Arts Centre in my town! There are huge pieces....Maybe I can send you some photos!
    You and your son are very talented. I would never even attempt a project like that! I'm like Nancy Jo in the above comments....I'd start myself on fire probably!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becky. I've seen the big ones, too. They are so pretty!

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.