Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Concord Grape Pie

Concord Grape Pie, oooooh. . . it is so delicious!

I told Granny Sue about this pie last night at our Appalachian Wordsmiths meeting and she wanted the recipe. So here it is.

There are many recipes on the internet for this pie, I notice that they don't vary much, so you can look around for one or follow the recipe I give you below. It's from an old paperback Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book. I've had it since the early 1980s.

I've got lots of concord grapes and I didn't want to make any more jelly, so I thought I'd make a few pies. I made the filling for two yesterday. I baked one and put the other filling in the freezer. I saw on line where you could do this. I'm going to make some more fillings to put in the freezer so I can enjoy the pies this winter.

INGREDIENTS:

4 cups of concord grapes
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 T lemon juice
2 T butter

Slip the skins from grapes (this is very easy to do) and set the skins aside.
Bring pulp to boil; reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Sieve to remove the seeds. Add skins and mix together. (It doesn't tell you to, but if you want, you can cook this mixture for a couple of minutes)

Stir the sugar, flour, salt, lemon juice and butter into the grape mixture. Pour into a 9" unbaked pastry shell. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes.

CRUMB TOPPING:
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter

Mix together the flour and sugar and cut in the butter until crumbly. Sprinkle on top of pie and bake an additional 15 minutes.

I noticed the crumb topping did not get very brown, so if you want you could put the topping on sooner.

You could also put a top crust on if you prefer it over the crumb topping.

COOL BEFORE CUTTING, no matter how much you want to eat a piece. If you are like me and can't wait to sample it, it will be runny. It thickens as it cools. But let me tell you, even though that first piece was runny, it didn't hurt the taste a bit!



Here is the pulp cooking, while the peels are in another container waiting to be added.


Sieving the seeds from the cooked pulp mixture.


Pie ready to be put into the oven. I don't make my crusts,
I don't have the time, so I just use store bought ones.
Be sure to set it on something in the oven to catch the run over if there is any.
(We all know it will spill over, so don't forget this step)




It's not a very pretty picture, as you can see it did spill over the crust.
But I did wait to take a picture of it after it cooled.
If you put on a top crust instead of a crumble topping it would probably look nicer,
but I like crumble toppings.


Hope you enjoyed this recipe, give it a try if you have some extra grapes.


7 comments:

  1. My friend Wilma makes concord grape pies every year, but I still havent been fortunate enough to get a piece. Maybe this year, who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, and concord grapes just went on sale at our supermarket. I'm going tomorrow to get some and freeze them for the holidays. My sisters would LOVE this pie! Thanks for sharing with us. Yours looks fantastic! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does look good, but I can't imagine what it tasts like. It seems to me that the peelings would be tough, but I guess they aren't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Janet! I just heard yesterday about elderberry pie--another one to try, if I have time. The grape pie looks easy enough, but I'll have to find my food mill, haven't used it in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet-it looks yummy. I've never had grape pie before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of grape pie. I must try this one. It sounds and looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've made concord grape pie several times and it is delicious. You don't even have to have a top, or crumb, crust.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.