Sunday, August 23, 2009

Weekend Happenings & Recipes

Another weekend has come, time sure does fly by. Fall will be here before you know it.

This weekend I watched towels and sheets flutter and dry in the breeze.


I put up tomatoes in the freezer.




I took a snapshot of this beautiful sunflower that grew on its own on the edge of our burn pile. The bee seems to be enjoying himself. I guess our burn pile will have to keep getting bigger until the sunflower dies, because it's just too pretty to destroy.




I had Andrew slow down and take a picture of this barn we pass by every Sunday morning on the way to Sunday School. I love the flag on it.


I have two recipes for you today.

The first one is for stuffed bell peppers. I'll tell you what we did. We took a perfectly good stuffed pepper recipe and completely ignored it and did it our way. Don't you just love down home country cooking where you just throw in whatever you want and see how it comes out?

STUFFED BELL PEPPERS

1 lb ground chuck
5 or 6 peppers
chopped onion
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder (it said to use garlic salt, but we changed that)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup rice - cooked (you were supposed to use minute rice)
1/2 cup water

Heat oven to 350. Cut pepper tops off, clean out and cook in salted boiling water for 5 minutes.

Cook and stir ground chuck and chopped onion until browned. Drain and add 8 oz tomato sauce, salt, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 cup water and cooked rice.

Now this is where we started messing with it even more.

Andrew said "Mom, we've got mushrooms in the fridge, can I chop them up and put them in?"
"Sure, why not," I said.

So add to the recipe a small pkg of chopped mushrooms. Put these in the ground meat mixture, too.

"Do you think it tomato-ey enough?" I say.
"I don't know. What do you think?"
"Another can of tomato sauce might be too much, tho," I said.
"Let's cut up a tomato and put it in it. That'll be good," said Andrew.
"OK," I said, as I picked up from the pile of tomatoes on the table the biggest and juiciest tomato I could find. "I'll peel this one, it looks good."

So add to the recipe a large juicy tomato from your garden. Because we all know the ones at the store aren't juicy like the ones from your garden. Peel it and chop it up and add it to the ground meat mixture.

Put peppers in baking dish and fill with mixture. Cover and bake for 25 minutes.
Uncover and top with 8oz can of tomato sauce and cook another 5 minutes.

ready to go into the oven


ready to eat!
And, in case you're wondering. . .
it turned out good.

Here's another quickie recipe where I'll just show you the pictures. Our little rusty apples are falling off the tree, so I picked up a few before nightfall before the deer had a chance to eat them, and I baked an apple cobbler.

For the recipe go here and use the first blackberry cobbler recipe on that page. Just substitute 2 cups of chopped apples mixed with 1 tsp of cinnamon in place of the berries.

If you don't have any blackberries, give this one a try. It's finger lickin' good.

This is the dough rolled out and the apple mixture on top.
I hadn't spread the apples out yet.


Here it is rolled up jelly roll style and cut into 15 pieces.

Get you a little spatula and lift each one up and place them in your baking dish.


Here are the little apple spirals floating in the sugar water mixture.
They are ready to put in the oven.



Ready to eat. It is delicious!

Well, we've been eating good this weekend. How about you?

10 comments:

  1. Those recipes sound and look good Janet, I think I'll make some stuff peppers this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure have been eating good! When I make stuffed peppers, I usually make half with green peppers and some with hot peppers, because my husband loves the hot ones. I think food is best when you just add what you have and what you like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds and looks really good!!I like doing my own add ins as well,Ilove anything with apples,I will have to try your recipe..take care..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello fellow WV-ian! I am from Hurricane and I just found your blog!
    Wonderful!

    I featured you on my Lovin's list for my blog posting today and I will be sure to visit you often!
    glad to see a piece of home in blogland!

    Blessings,
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet, the sunflower is beautiful! What a great picture.

    And the apple recipe--wow. I want to try that. Reckon I could use some of my honey in them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The stuffed pepper recipe sounds perfect made the way you did it. I'm gonna have to try it because I LOVE them. I don't blanch my peppers though ... I like them raw, stuffed and just put in the oven. I still like that little crispness to them when they come out. Thanks for sharing. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, oh my, those stuffed peppers look good! I gotta make me some of them. Now, off to the Farmer's Market to buy some tomatoes and peppers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janet,
    Those recipes really sound delicious. I love stuffed bell peppers. The apple spirals look so delicious. Your sunflower and red barn photos are beautiful. Sounds like you had a busy weeked. I like to hang out my clothes on the line to dry. We have also put tomatoes into the freezer. Summer is ending and our garden is almost dried up. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 2 Yummy recipes. The sunflower photo is sooo pretty. I love the blue sky behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I ever have a big red barn, I want a flag just like that one painted on it!
    I wouldn't light the burn pile either with that pretty sunflower still blooming.
    I MUST try that apple cobbler. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.