Thursday, September 8, 2011

Mom's 'Bread Pudding'

Mmmm!

I saw this leftover bread on the table today and decided to make bread pudding the way my mom used to make it.




It is easy. No baking required.

But, do not get distracted when making this pudding. Do not try to do 6 things at once, like I do, or your mixture can stick or burn.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup sugar
2 T. cornstarch
1/4 t. salt
2 cups milk
2 slightly beaten egg yolks
2 T. butter or margarine
1 t. vanilla

In a saucepan, blend sugar, cornstarch, and salt; add milk. Cook and stir over medium heat till thickened and bubbly. (stir constantly and do not leave unattended). Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.

Stir small amount of hot mixture into yolks; return to hot mixture; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat; blend in butter and vanilla. Pour into bowl.

Tear bread into pieces and put in pudding; stir together.




It is so good. My youngest son loves it.

Of course, I was trying to clean off the table and get food ready for supper when I was making this and it did stick a little on me. I seem to always have a time when I make it.

Charley said, "I don't remember my grandma having a hard time making this pudding and she cooked on a wood burning cook stove."
I said, "Well, I'm not your grandma."

But all the trouble is worth it when he takes a bite and says, "Mmm, I'm in love."

11 comments:

  1. This makes me smile; I like the statement, "I'm not your grandma". Don't we always have to defend ourselves? Your pudding looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet,
    Today is really the first day I've felt like checking out blogs and I loved this one.
    Just a tip to share. I make all my pudding in the microwave in a glass bowl. Stir once or twice. NEver sticks. No messy pan to wash.
    I LOVE bread pudding but my sugar is going to be limited now but someday I'm trying this. Love the photo that goes with the article.
    Blessings. Barb
    Thanks for being so supportive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a failure as a cook -- I know I would have that burnt into one big black ball. But I love bread pudding. Where I worked at one time we had a real cook that would make this pudding and slip a bit of it upstairs to some us in the office. It was so good. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janet, thanks for the recipe! It looks wonderful and is much simpler than the recipe my Mom had. I am looking forward to making it Hope you have a great day ahead! Delisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bread, sugar, what's not to love? your bread pudding looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love bread pudding! Haven't had it in a while though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That bread pudding looks yummy! I love comfort foods!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't get in the way of a good bread pudding and me because you're going to lose especially when I hit you in my electric wheelchair. There's gotta be some perks to being a paraplegic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect! I have almost a whole loaf of French brad left over from the weekend plus some fresh peaches...my husband is in for a real treat tomorrow..

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, I'm not your grandma is right. Love that phrase. This looks so good, but nothing comes easy for me. The most simple recipes turn out so hard sometimes..Susie

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks good and I love your quip back at Charlie : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.