Thursday, October 2, 2008

Happy Birthday and a Recipe

Today (October 2) is my husband's birthday.

He doesn't want the ordinary birthday cake with the creamy icing decorated with flowers and pretty writing. He wants and has always wanted german chocolate cake. He loves german chocolate cake!

Well I make the cake from a mix. But I have the best german chocolate icing recipe there is. I hate coconut, but I love this icing. I could just get a spoon and eat it from the pan.

With these ingredients it has to be good.


RECIPE for GERMAN CHOCOLATE ICING

1 stick margarine
1 cup sugar
3 slightly beaten egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup evaporated milk

Combine the above together and stir over medium heat until thickened - about 12 minutes. Then add.....

1 1/3 cups coconut
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts ( I use black walnuts )

Cool and spread on cake.

Here are the first 5 ingredients cooked and waiting for the coconut and nuts to be added.


Mixing in the nuts and coconut...



Spreading it on....


The finished product......



I didn't have enough candles, so we settled for six.

p.s. As always he loved the cake!


If you like german chocolate cake, try this recipe, it's easy and it's sooo good. Ask my husband, he'll tell you.

9 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Charlie! I hope you have a great year ahead of you. (and thanks for sharing your wife with the writing group on Thursday nights!)

    No wonder you weren't at writing group tonight, Janet :-)

    Lucky man to have a lovely cake like that. I hope

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susanna, I'll tell him. I missed being there tonight, I'll see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to your husband!! The cake looks sooo good-now I'm starving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to Charlie!! I'm craving cake just looking at that pile of ingredients! Fall really put me in a fresh food and baking mood. The cake looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi found your sweet comment on my blog and came over to visit you. The cake looks delicious and German Chocolate is my Sweetie's favorite also. Happy birthday to your husband! Thanks for visiting me. Blessings, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jan, That cake does look good. You know, german chocolate is one of John's favorites too.

    Did Charlie catch up with me? Don't each of those six candles represent ten years?

    Happy belated birthday, Charlie.

    Big Sis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummm, that frosting looks delicious and I know it is because I've made it a few times for my German chocolate cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Iv'e never seen a recipe for German chocolate icing before, but, I've never looked, either. The canned icing has just always been so easy. Like Charley, my family has always liked German Chocolate Cake, too. I remember that was the first birthday cake that I made for Terry, after we were married. I usually layer mine. Trina always requests this cake, too. It must run in the family! I'll try your recipe - it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow it is that easy this is my favorite cake and Icing Now I have a recipe for it will use this Thank you

    Always
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.