Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sunday Dessert - Poor Man's Pecan Pie

Charley loves pecan pie. Since he is retired now, I decided to make a poor man's pecan pie for our Sunday dessert.

Here he is with a slice of the finished product.




It is an old recipe. My mom used to make it. Here is the recipe she had cut out of the newspaper long ago.




You can click on the picture to enlarge it, but in case you can't read it very good, I've typed it below.

POOR MAN'S PECAN PIE

1/2 cup grape nuts
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup butter
1/8 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 unbaked pie shell

Soak grape nuts in 1/2 cup warm  water until water is absorbed. Combine sugar,  corn syrup, butter and salt in pan. Bring to a boil quickly, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Beat eggs until foamy. Add small amount of hot syrup mixture to eggs, beating well. Add the remaining amount of hot syrup mixture,  mixing well. Stir in softened grape nuts and vanilla. Pour into pastry-lined pan.

Bake at 375 for 45-50 minutes. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.

Here it is before putting it in the oven.




Let cool  before cutting your first piece.




This is the first time I ever made it. I was afraid it was not going to come out okay. But, it did! And, it does taste like pecan pie. . . without the crunchy pecans, that is.

Have you ever made this pie before?

12 comments:

  1. It looks very nice, pity you can't send some to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I haven't made it but I am going too. It looks delicious. The older generation were very good cooks and they had to comprise a lot.Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never made, or had pecan pie, before! This pie looks delish, I'd love a piece with my tea right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet - I never made the mock pecan pie but I did make the apple which was popular maybe in the seventies. We used Ritz crackers and some lemon juice instead of apples. It was very good, amazingly enough.
    I will try your recipe sometime. Right now we are both trying to lose weight.
    Blessings, B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of a pecan pie made liek this. I think I will have to try it. Of course now you have me hungry. lol
    Hope you had a great weekend
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  6. That look really good and my husband can't have nuts due to diverticular disease so this would be a special treat for him:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janet, I have a hard time believing that anything you would make could come out poorly. I think you just have the “touch” :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never heard of it-but it I think I HAVE to make it now ; )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gonna try this recipe this week.
    I LOVE pecan pie, but have never been able to find a good one North of the Mason-Dixon Line. My brother in NM has a small orchard and sends me plenty of pecans, but I haven't found the right recipe yet. Suspect it's a matter of how sweet you like it - variations of molasses, dark corn syrup, light corn syrup, even honey have been suggested. as well as amount of brown sugar (dark or light?) and how many eggs. Still experimenting .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Steeleweed, you are lucky to have a brother who can send you pecans. We only have black walnuts and hickory nuts around here. But you know this recipe doesn't use pecans, that's why its for the Poor Man :o) Hope any of you who tried this, liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was out with friends and there was pecan pie for dessert and that is when I remember my mother made pecan pie with grape nut cereal we then look on line to see if anything cameup. And found your recipe. My mother passed 5 years ago. thank you for the memory Laura k

    ReplyDelete
  12. mother made it without the grapenuts, it was like a homemade butterscotch pie.
    we couldn't afford pecans.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.