Friday, February 25, 2011

Mmmm...Whole Wheat Cookies recipe

This is a new recipe I tried today. I have to admit, I wasn't sure how good they were going to be. I had never made whole wheat cookies before.

Well, they were delicious! Very, very good. They are kind of a light cookie, not real sweet. Here is the nutrition info for each cookie. (Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies) I only lacked 2 cookies from making 2 1/2 dozen,  so the nutrition info would be pretty close for my cookies.


Per cookie:
59 calories  Carbs 10gm  Fat 2gm  Protein 1gm  Sodium 67mg  Fiber 1gm

BASIC WHOLE WHEAT COOKIES

Yields 2 1/2 dozen cookies

Preheat oven to 375. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.

Ingredients
2 T  canola oil
2 T soft margarine
3/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 egg whites
1 t vanilla

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 t baking soda
3/4 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1/8 t ground nutmeg
1/2 t ground cinnamon

sugar/cinnamon mixture

Directions:
Cream oil, margarine and 3/4 cup sugar together until light and fluffy.
Add applesauce, egg whites and vanilla to the margarine mixture and beat until smooth.
Stir flour,  baking soda, baking powder, salt, 1/8 t nutmeg and 1/2 t cinnamon together in a bowl. Gradually add to wet ingredients, mixing  after each addition. Drop by rounded teaspoonfulls onto prepared cookie sheet.    (I hand-stirred everything, I did not use a mixer)
Take sugar/cinnamon mixture and sprinkle on the dropped cookie dough. Bake 8 - 12 minutes in preheated oven until lightly brown. Watch carefully and do not over bake them. (I baked mine for 12 minutes)

I also added 1/2 cup of black walnuts...yummy!

I hope you try these, they are so good. My husband is on an antibiotic, so he can't drink milk for a while,  so we fixed us a cup of decaf coffee to share and sipped on it while eating the cookies.

You could add other ingredients to this recipe, such as raisins, chocolate chips and such. I added the nuts, because I love nuts!


Mixing together the oil, margarine and sugar






 

Adding applesauce, egg whites and vanilla


The whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon
 I remembered to use my vintage green bowls. I think they are so pretty.


The dry and wet ingredients combined and black walnuts added.


On my well used baking stone, ready to go in the oven


Ready to eat with our cup of coffee


16 comments:

  1. Those cookies look delicious. Thank you for the recipe, I wrote it down and plan on making them with my little grandaughter. She loves baking cookies and I'm sure we'll enjoy them. Thanks again, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet,
    I feel as though I know you are Charley both. I loved that you shared a cup of coffee. R and I share things all the time.
    I appreciate the cookie recipe. WE are trying to eat better. Ha.
    Not sure yet how we are doing. We both have to bring our cholesterol down. Tested again in two months.
    I'll copy the recipe and use when the kiddies are here. Thanks much. Blessings. B

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look good Janet! Hope you didn't get a lot of rain! Our road flooded some but it wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be today!

    Have a Wonderful Weekend!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi all, thanks for the comments. Susie, I hope your granddaughter likes the cookies. Barbara, I have high cholesterol, too. I've been eating more fiber, hoping that will help bring it down, I don't want to have to 'up' my medicine. Angela, the creeks and rivers are high and muddy in our area, but not flooding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm! These sound so good, especially with the walnuts..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice recipe and I love the addition of walnuts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janet those cookies look so good, bet they tasted good too! Have a good weekend! Love your vintage bowls; I collect those too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm finding I like my sweets and pastries less and less sweet, actually. So these would fit the bill perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Janet! How are you this evening? I'm going to try your cookies, they look wonderful. Apple sauce is a good thing to add to cakes and cookies, it makes them moist and you don't have to use as much oil or butter.

    You know what else is really good, it doesn't sound good, but it tastes wonderful: prune puree. I found the tip in a "Cooking Light" magazine years ago. It is great in cookies and especially carrot cake! I take the prunes and put them in the food processor with a little water. I then add the same amount as I would the applesauce.

    I have sure enjoyed reading the link you gave the other day, to the website that had tips for writers.
    I hope you are having a nice friday night! Delisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janet -- love cookies! I don't eat them any more though. But when I saw yours I wished I still ate them. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delsia, I have a low fat fudge recipe that calls for a small baby jar of prunes in the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing the cookie recipe. I'm always looking for tasty and healthier ways to make desserts. We do love our sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those flowers are beautiful! I have never tried whole wheat cookies. I like the bowl you used also.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sound delicious, Janet--very like my applesauce cake recipe in the ingredients too. I'll have to try these. They are something Larry could probably eat. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good for you and yummy too you can't beat that!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.