Monday, October 6, 2008

The Pear - From Blossoms to Jam

This is a simple post.

Starting with the pear blossoms in springtime....


To the pear tree in early autumn loaded with it's bounty...



To the finished product in my kitchen.....

We made 12 jars of beautiful golden pear jam.

I used Sure-Jell and followed the package directions. When chopping the pears, I used a Black and Decker Handy Chopper Plus. It chops the pear pieces quickly and easily.

I swiped the inside of the empty pan with my finger and did a taste test. It was very good.

Hope some of you get to make some pear jam this fall.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a bumper crop of pears too. Bet the jam is tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great year for pears and all fruit, I think. I like to make pear jam too; I like it spicy with cinnamon. We've been using pears in our cider and it's very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, looks delicious! And such a heavy-laden tree! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I preserved a lot of pears this past fall, also. We can them to eat. I like them with cottage cheese. I made pear chutney, which is very good, and pear butter. I will try your jam recipe this year. We also had a bumper crop with 2 trees. I sat on the ground and filled a wash tub full from one limb.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.