Sunday, January 9, 2011

Just What I Needed


I picked up this little goodie at Goodwill a few days ago. I know it doesn't look like much, but it was just what I needed!




What did I need it for? To hold my rolling pins, of course.





I love rolling pins. The real old one on top nearest to the camera is one that belonged to my mom. She gave it to me a few years after I got married. She didn't remember where she got it. But it is old and hand carved and I love it. I'm thinking one of my grandpas may have been the maker of it.

The one with the red handle belonged to my Aunt Irma. On one of my last visits to her house, she gave it to me. She said she had it since she was first married in the late 1940s.

The two on the bottom are just a couple I picked up at either a yard sale, a  road  side sale or a thrift store.

The other two, including that beautiful one with the different types of wood, were made by my son, Andrew. He is just about the best woodcrafter  I know! Go here to see the many beautiful things he has made me.

I haven't been feeling up to par the last couple of weeks and that is why I haven't been blogging much.
I was taking some medicine. After being on it for three weeks, my body decided not to tolerate  it. After a week of bad side effects, I stopped taking it and then I went through the next week of having the side effects of coming off the medicine. Thank goodness, I think I am over the hump now and getting close to normal again.

19 comments:

  1. I've been looking forever for one that holds three - I want one for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for rolling pins. A wine rack! I gave my old rolling pins collection to my youngest daughter -- she has them stored away in her house. Maybe I'll suggest she shop at a yard sale for a wine rack (she lives in Utah).

    Your son's craftsmanship is marvelous. What beautiful things he has made for you. There is a German name for that scroll work but I can't think of it right now.

    -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think your rolling pin rack was a wine rack in its previous life? I LOVE it for your rolling pins. We use the one in our vacation cabin to hold Pringle cans! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea for this wine rack. And, I LOVE your rolling pins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. It's genius to use that wine rack to hold your rolling pins!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for your comments. Yes, I think it was a wine rack in its former life. Hey that's a great way to store Pringles, too! I think when the weather gets milder (that may be a while) I might spray paint it red. I love red in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love rolling pins too and how nice you have a place to display them now! I think I have my original one--they never wear out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Surprise! Hi Jan. I know I haven't commented for a long time...I haven't even checked out any blogs for a long time. But, I saw this on your fb and thought I'd check it out. You know that thing is probably a wine rack. I'm glad you had a much better use for it. I love you, baby sis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a black wire wall holder like that and it holds two rolling pins. I love it. A friend gave it to me making it more special.
    I've missed you Janet. Hope you are all better soon.
    Blessings!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janet so glad you're feeling better. It just plain weird how some medicine can make you feel worse than what it's supposed to cure. Love the winerack for holding your rolling pins. I think it would be beautiful painted red.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sis, glad to see you visiting my blog again. Terri, rolling pins are something that seem to never wear out, they get better with age. Barb and Mama-Bug thank you for your well wishes. I have missed being on here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love rolling pins too and have several. That's a great way to display them. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a great find.. Never saw one before.. Love the pins.
    Maggey

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you continue to feel better lady. I love this. What a perfect use for this neat stand. I love your rolling pins and those given by loved ones current and past are even more beautiful. Your son’s work is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope that you are getting better Janet! It just not a good time of the year to be sick.

    What a neat looking way to display all of your rolling pins! It will look great red. I especially love the multi wood one your son made! It is beautiful!

    Hope you are feeling better!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't know you were feeling bad, Janet. So sorry to hear that.
    The rolling pin made by your son is just beautiful, a new heirloom to pass down. You're right, he's gifted. I really like the handcarved one too-what a beauty!

    I keep my collection on a very similar wine rack--it works beautifully, doesn't it? I'll have to post a photo of them sometimes--maybe on vintage Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a brilliant idea for the rolling pins. I"ll have to remember this one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a perfect little stand for your rolling pin collection. Even if that wasn't it's intention, who cares, once it's yours you can use it for whatever you want.
    I am glad you are feeling better!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.