Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Blackberry Recipes

Since I showed you my blackberry vines yesterday, I thought I would share three of my favorite recipes with you today. Get a pack out of the freezer or pick some from the patch and start baking.



Delicious! This is the best cobbler I ever tasted. It melts in your mouth.

FANCY BLACKBERRY COBBLER

1 stick of butter
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups self rising flour
1/3 cup milk
approx. 1 qt. blackberries

Preheat oven to 350. Melt butter in a 13x9x2 baking dish. Heat sugar and water in saucepan until sugar dissolves; set aside. Cut shortening into flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk and stir with a fork only until dough leaves side of bowl. Turn dough out onto lightly floured wax paper. Roll out to a 12x10x1/4 inch rectangle. Lay berries evenly over dough. Roll up jelly-roll style. Cut into slices, each about 1/2 inch thick. Arrange slices in pan with melted butter. Pour sugar syrup carefully around and over rolls. (This looks like too much liquid, but the crust will absorb it.) Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.

If you like, you can use 2 cups of peeled, finely chopped apples, sprinkled with 1 t. cinnamon, instead of the berries.

I would show you a picture of the above dish, but we just finished eating it.

But you can click here and see what it looks like.

This next recipe is an easy one.

BLACKBERRY COBBLER

You can change the amounts below, depending on how big you want your cobbler. You could use 1 cup or 2 cups of the last three ingredients instead of the 1 1/2 cup amounts.

3 cups (more or less) blackberries
1 stick of butter
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups sugar

Melt butter in baking pan. Mix flour, sugar and milk together and pour over melted butter. Drop fruit o n top of batter, do not stir. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.

You can use any fruit you wish on the above recipe.

I make this next recipe when I'm rushed for time. It is quick and easy and good!

BLACKBERRY CRUMBLE

In a mixing bowl combine:

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar

With a pastry blender, cut in

1/4 cup cold butter

Combine until mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
Put into an 8" square baking dish approx. 1 quart of berries (more or less)
Cover berries with crumb mixture, pressing down lightly. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes.
Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

Now you see why I can't lose weight this summer.

7 comments:

  1. Janet, I can not believe that you posted your Blackberry Cobbler receipe.. I thought that one would go to the grave with you. Why didn't you post that it was a Blue Ribbon winner at the fair?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey there. love the music. I don't bake nor do I eat baking. but I was just given a load of lovely blackberries. too many to eat fresh. have any idea's besides jam or baking for using them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you! Fresh blackberries have to be eaten fairly soon after you get them. Be sure and keep them in the fridge. You can always freeze them for later use. They are good in a bowl with milk and sugar, in cereal, put them in milkshakes. Besides baking recipes that's about all I can think of for now. I guess you can share them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this recipe last night and it was a hit!
    I have to say it's one of the craziest recipes I've ever made. :D Pouring two cups of liquid over the top scared me to death. But it definitely worked! Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Out of these three blackberry cobbler recipes, which would you say is the best? By your comments, I would think the first one is the best.

    Also, when you say butter in the recipes, is it salted or unsalted? I have had bad experiences with salted and I was just wondering.

    Thank you!

    Jeri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jeri, you can use butter or margarine. When I use butter, I usually use the salted. And yes, the first recipe is definitely the best! Go here and you will see what it looks like.
    http://janetsmart.blogspot.com/2008/11/cooking-with-my-favorite-rolling-pins.html

    and you will see what it looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the replying so quick and for the link! I'll let you know how it turns out! I'll be making it this Saturday. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.