Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Pan of Fried Bread

I made fried bread for supper last night. My son wanted it for dinner on Sunday, but he told me too late.

Guess what we had for dinner on Sunday?

Squirrel casserole and squirrel gravy. It was really good, too, but I didn't take pictures.

OK, back to the fried bread.

I mixed up:

approx. 3 cups of self rising flour ( like Granny Sue, I used Hudson Cream flour)
1 egg
milk

This will make 2 batches in the skillet.


Melt butter.


Mix up the batter to this consistency. I'm sorry, I'm like my grandma used to be, I don't measure the milk. It is a little thick, but pourable.


Here it is in the skillet, where I'm checking underneath for doneness. When you pour it into the skillet and spread it out, leave a little space around the edge of it. I guess you could make a bunch of little serving size ones. They would be easier to flip, kind of like flipping pancakes, but I've always did the larger ones.



Here's a picture of it after flipping. And yes, flipping it without tearing it up is the hardest part.


Two batches on the serving platter. Tear off a hunk and eat.


It's very good, I hope you like it. Have you ever made fried bread?

This is an old fashioned bread, my dad used to make it all the time when I was young. I think he used a mixture of flour and cornmeal with his. There were certain things my dad always cooked. He cooked salmon cakes, the big pots of pinto beans that lasted for days and fried bread. What did your dad cook?

9 comments:

  1. My Dad loved pinto beans and cornbread.
    We used to call those fritters. And yes, I have made my share of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we made fried bread growing up it was the leftover dough from making yeast bread (rolls, light bread, etc.). The dough was raised and everything just like when you make rolls, but flatted out and fried. It was really good too. I remember we used to eat it with jelly on it.

    Matthew

    ps...my Dad can't cook at all. I think he tried making toast one time, and caught the kitchen on fire. However, my granddaddy used to make the best white gravy. It was so good with a slice of garden tomato.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember my Dad ever cooking although, he did his share by bringing in the food. I remember him grinding and mixing up sausage and seasoning hams to cure up in the "smoke house" among other things.
    Like twisted fencepost, we also called those fritters. I learned to cook those from my Mom but have not cooked them in a long time. Sometimes we would have them hot off the skillet with butter and home made preserves poured over them. Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the fried bread-we called them fritters too. I remember Granny even making a chocolate version-which was good! Pap, my dad, is a good cook-he makes delicious biscuits and gravy and he is the king of fried potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's like Indian frybread! I have never made this, but did buy some "frybread mix" at a pow-wow, and we loved it! Will have to try your recipe! I have made "corn dodgers" or fried cornbread, though.

    My Dad never cooked, but my step grandfather had a specialty we kids all LOVED--we called it "Papa Curt Steak." It was round steak, dredged in flour and fried, then served with gravy and mashed potatoes! Oh, that stuff was so GOOD!:-)

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have it a lot. At home in Kentucky, we called them fritters. They are wonderful with pintos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We also called then fritters. I was just telling the man I work with about them the other night. Mommy made the cornmeal and the flour varieties, I liked the cornmeal ones best. She made them smaller than yours, and we ate them with apple butter a lot for lunch in the summer months. Could you imagine the turned up noses of some kids today if that's all they got for lunch?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this. I've been looking for a recipe for a simple fried bread like my Mom used to make. This looks exactly like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Found your post by googling "fried bread." A friend of mine told me about it and I just "had" to have some. I've done the fry bread (like for tacos) but this was a first for this kind! It turned out so delicious topped with fresh strawberries and whipped topping!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.