Friday, November 21, 2008

WHAT'S FOR SUPPER?

We decided to have an easy supper tonight.

Hot Dogs & French Fries

Or should I say, West Virginia Hot Dogs and French fries.

I've heard people, who used to live in West Virginia, say that one of the things they miss the most is West Virginia hot dogs.


This blogs for you........




What's on a West Virginia hot dog when you say you want one with everything?


ketchup
mustard
chili
cole slaw
onions

But you knew that, didn't you. (The above picture is without onions, because I don't like onions)
Also, sadly we had used up the last of our frozen chili with the last hot dogs we ate, so we had to use canned hot dog sauce tonight.

We go to Pipestem State Park a lot and so do a lot of out of state people. We always look at the license plates of the cars in the parking lot and there's usually more out of state cars than there are West Virginia ones.

One day we were in the Black Bear Restaurant. It is a little eatery there at the park that serves hamburgers, pizzas, hot dogs, ice cream cones etc. While sitting and waiting on our food we observed an out of state customer questioning his order.

"I asked for a hot dog with everything," he said.

"Well sir, that's what we gave you. What else did you want on it?"

"All I wanted was ketchup and mustard!"

We sat and chuckled.

I used to be a secretary in the State Purchasing Dept. at the Capitol. There is a cafeteria in the basement where we went to eat on a regular basis. They made great hot dogs!
A long time ago when we bid out the gilding of the dome, the winning contractor was from Fitchburg, Mass. They were a great bunch of guys. A few of us girls from the office took the main guy to the cafeteria one day and we convinced him to try one of our hot dogs. Well it was love at first bite. He said he was going to tell so and so at this place back in Mass. to start making hot dogs like we did.

So much for my hot dog stories.

Here is a copy of my husband's hot dog chili. He makes a big batch and we freeze small batches of it in the freezer for future use.

HOT DOG CHILI FOR A CROWD

5 lbs ground chuck (cooked in water, so it is fine in texture)
2-3 onions chopped fine
1/4 cup (more or less, season to taste) chili powder
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 t. cayenne pepper
half gallon tomato juice
1/4 cup dried mustard
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 T. garlic powder
1 t. cumin

Drain ground beef then add the above ingredients.
Simmer for 2 hours.
Add 32oz of ketchup
Cook additional 1/2 hour.


What do you put on your hot dog?

6 comments:

  1. That chili sounds delicious. Homemade always is!
    I like "everything". The WV way. Cause I'm originally from WV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love a good hot dog, and those you made look great. I love Custard Stand Chili that is made in Webster Springs, WV, it is so good but a might expensive. I done some trial and error and figured out their recipe, or one very close to it, now we usually have chili on hand.

    I'm with you on the onions part. The onions these days just seem to be so strong. I haven't had a really good onion for a long time.

    Of course, a hot dog ain't a hot dog unless it has everything on it, otherwise it is just a weiner on a bun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those hot dogs look so good...even at 9:30 a.m. I'll have to try your chili recipe.

    Give the photo wreath a try. I love digging it out each year and looking at the pictures. You can use them so many different ways.

    Blessings....

    ReplyDelete
  4. The "dogs" sure look good. It's almost midnight and I am hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will try your recipe for my favorite…. hoto dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love love a good hotdog-now I'm starving for one of yours!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.