Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Americana Crafts from Scraps

I cleaned up outside the other day and took apart an old lattice that was already falling apart.




It was tedious work, but with a hammer, screw driver and pliers I took out the staples and small nails.




I ended up with a lot of pieces. . . .



and I made this star to hang on the outside wall of our storage building. I nailed the pieces together with small nails with our staple gun. I'm thinking this would be pretty at Christmas time, also. I could string lights around it.



I still had left over boards, so I made a very crude flag. I think I will also hang this on the outside wall of our building. It will be up high so people won't notice the imperfections. I cut the boards to the length I wanted, spray painted them and then nailed the boards together with the staple gun. The small nails were a little too long, tho, and some of them came through the other side.



Here is how I attached the boards on the back of the flag.


I've seen these stars and flags on the outside of buildings a lot and always wanted one like them. I'm glad I came up with the idea before throwing away the tore up lattice in the burn pile.

13 comments:

  1. Janet, I love the star and the flag. What a wonderful way to be creative. You always give me the best ideas. I have an old piece of lattice behind the shed. I think I will make a star and a flag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet, that is a good job, wish I had some lattice and someone to make them for me... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas, Janet. I will keep these in mind the next time I start tearing things apart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yes! Great use of the old wood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a good job with the flag and star. I have always wanted a star to hang above my garage door at Christmas/with lights, but have never taken the time to make one. Now I know how. I have a store bought flag similar to yours hanging in Tim and Jon's room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great way to use the old lattice! Don't worry about little imperfections, that's what makes it so neat. I may have to give that a try too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice ideas...... I love both. Wonderful job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful recycling! I like both of these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a very creative way to reuse the old lattice. Love the way you made the flag and the star.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How very creative Janet!
    I love them both!
    You have talent girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Janet, loved your ideas for using up the lattice wood. You are very crafty and full of great tips to reuse things. Thanks for that. Sorry I couldn't comment until now, computer has been having a spaz attack lately. :) xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Janet-you are so creative! I love the flag and the star.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there! Just found your blog and browsed for a bit! Lots of great and fun things on here...AND ....I am a fellow West Virginian!!!! I have lived in South Carolina for almost 9 years now and sure do miss my mountains where I was born and raised!!! Thanks for the neat music on your blog! I will be following you, so stop by and say hi sometime!!!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.