Thursday, August 2, 2012

Mushroom Yard Art


I've seen on the internet lately people making mushrooms out of cheap vases and crystal bowls.
Well, I got a few things at our local thrift store for a quarter each and made my own smaller versions.


I painted the tops white. I used a couple coats of acrylic paint, then spray painted on the top coat. Two of the 'tops' didn't have to be painted - the little enamelware cup and the glass custard bowl.



I glued them together. On line they say to use waterproof liquid silicone as a glue.

Here they are in my pitiful excuse of a flower garden in front of my porch. . .



and here are three more. . .





I know some of you may think  they are kind of silly. But I think they are cute!
My favorite is the larger one in the top picture with the top knot on it.

You can do whatever your mind can imagine. Check for items around your house or go to a yard sale or thrift store for items. Buy the clear crystal items or the white ones. You could even use colorful ones for a whimsical look! Go small or go large.

Now all I need are a few little blue Smurfs to stand along side them.

Posted by Janet F. Smart on Writing in the Blackberry Patch.
©Janet F. Smart

12 comments:

  1. These are really cute..Neat idea.. I would never have thought of doing this..I may try it..Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so cute Janet! I like your craftiness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh these are so cute! What a clever imagination someone had! You sure find lots of fun things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting! I think this is another one of the ideas you share on your blog, I may have to try. I have been thinking of doing some landscaping of the yard around my home. Cheaper the better since I only rent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a clever way to upcycle. I can't decide which is my favorite. The way our bushes are dying in this drought, I think I'll have to make a bunch of these for the bare spot when we rip the bushes out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Janet! What a cute idea! I love them, I think they are really unique and I love the idea of repurposing something and giving it a new life! How cool is that. I hope you are having a great weekend ahead and get to do all the things you enjoy! With Love, Delisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Janet,
    Now isn't that clever! good job. I think they look really cute.
    I love the rose of sharon. My daughter has one, I should plant one. so pretty.
    Nancy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love them! I haven't seen them before-now I want some too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so cute, Janet! Have you seen the cake plates people are making, pretty much the same way? You glue a plate on top of a vase or whatever. I saw a two-tier tidbit tray made that way too. So clever! Although I wince when I see that someone has used something really old and rare in these pieces :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so cute, Janet! Have you seen the cake plates people are making, pretty much the same way? You glue a plate on top of a vase or whatever. I saw a two-tier tidbit tray made that way too. So clever! Although I wince when I see that someone has used something really old and rare in these pieces :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, I thought they were cute, too. The things I used weren't rare. You can find these vases at the thrift stores all the time for almost nothing and the tops are also common.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.