Tuesday, April 28, 2009

It's a Dirty Job, But...

somebody has to do it.


Now that's a lot of hay!


Guess Who....




By the time you get to the end of this post, you will feel like you need a bath.

We have been working on this drainage ditch project for weeks. My son is a perfectionist and he had to have the slope and everything just right. Ever since we've lived here (just about all our married life), we've had a drainage problem at the side of our yard. The kids loved it when they were little. After a big rain, we would have huge puddles of water down there and they'd run through them and splash around and they'd watch the night crawlers float by. Well, that part was fun, but what wasn't fun was it staying wet and damp for days at a time. We'd squish around waiting for it to dry enough to cut the grass.

So it was my son's idea to do something about it.

We dug the ditch by hand, made sure the pitch was just right, shoveled gravel into it by hand, put the pipes in (and made sure the slope on them was just right), shoveled more gravel over the pipe and then shoveled the dirt back over everything. We ran out of dirt and had to take some from the garden, then yesterday the next door neighbor's project of digging up their driveway and sidewalk provided us with a large pile of dirt to use. We also wrapped the pipe and gravel with some type of cloth that water can penetrate, but it also keeps the dirt from getting in the holes of the pipe.

It took a couple of weeks, but today we finished!

We put down grass seeds and covered them with hay.



Boy it was a dirty job!


I repeat, it was a dirty job!


This picture reminds me of the little boy in the Peanuts comic strip.
I think Pig-Pen was his name.


I helped, but he didn't want to take my picture. You will have to take my word for it. I helped with the digging, shoveling, and seeding, and so did my husband and youngest son. We even had a few of Andrew's friends help with the digging.

I'm tired and I'm glad this project is over. Now, let the rains begin.

Anyone feel like taking a bath now?

9 comments:

  1. What a yuck job! But aren't you glad you're all done? blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh but doesn't it feel rewarding after a job well done...
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is what I call a family project. Sounds like Andrew is still without a job....paying job, that is....but looks like he has been busy....well....all of you....and just in time for the rain. Now you can take your shower and rest for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job, all. It's raining now so you'll soon be enjoying the results of all that work.

    See you monday night?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet,

    It was a big job that's now finished. You will reap the rewards whenever it rains. You guys have done a terrific job.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be thankful for those working boys!!1

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very dusty job!! But I'm sure it'll be worth all the hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope this takes care of all your drainage issues. Now you can enjoy. But no more excuses for putting off the mowing for another day. tee hee
    Now, I'm off to take a shower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whew! Dirty work for sure, but I know you will be glad to see all of the fruits of that labor!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.