Thursday, September 4, 2008

Write What You Know

I started writing in the spring of last year. The ideas come to me and I write.
They say to write what you know, write what you are familiar with. That is what I try to do.

I belong to the Appalachian Wordsmiths. They are a wonderful group of writers and poets and are very helpful to me in my writing.

None of my stories have been published yet. I have a collection of rejection letters. But I will continue to write and submit.

I write children's picture books.

My first picture book has never been submitted. I am still working on getting it right. It is about what I know very well - picking blackberries as a child with my grandma. I drove my writing group crazy with all the versions I have written it in. So I gave it a rest and will work on it again at a later date. It is the story that got me started writing and I am determined to get it right.

Some of my other picture books are about a dachshund, a lady scarecrow in a cornfield, a little Indian boy determined to go on a hunting trip with his tribe, and a little boy who needs glasses.


I write middle grade stories.

Family Treasure takes place in southern West Virginia during the 1960s. A country girl and her cousin from the city discover clues in the attic about a family treasure lost during the Civil War. Read this story and find out the significance of becoming 13 years old in this family.

Lucy is a work in progress about a young couple living in rural WV in the early 1900s. The story starts on their wedding day and ends with the birth of their first son. It includes early superstitions, traditions and everyday life happenings during that time period. It is a fictional account of my grandparent's early life.

A quote by Richard Bach---A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit

I don't intend to quit!

2 comments:

  1. Love the quote. I'm also determined not to quit.

    I've writing forever, pretty much since I was born, but I've just begun seriously submitting.

    You have a great blog, I've skimmed backwards through it looking at the pictures and reading some of the posts. Now I'm going to go forward again, and read what I skipped over.

    Hope comments on old posts are still welcome :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooops! I've BEEN writing forever . . . guess I ain't a pro yet . . .

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.