Sunday, December 31, 2017

New Year's Resolutions and Superstitions

Another year has passed.

It is time for all those resolutions.
If we make them, let's hope we keep them - at least for a few months.

I have been thinking about a word for 2018. I think my word will be contentment. I will try and be content in everything I do and in everything that happens.

I know that will be hard. It seems we are never content. But, I will do my best and try.

I grew up with many superstitions.

On New Year's Day we always ate cabbage, and in that cabbage was a piece of silver. We still keep this tradition, but I don't usually put silver in it.
People cook cabbage differently. My daughter-in-law's family cook apples in their cabbage.
Click here to see how my husband cooks our cabbage.

My grandmother believed in first-footer. The first one to set foot in her house on New Year's Day had to be a male. If you went by it precisely - a tall dark-haired male. It would bring you good luck and prosperity. I read somewhere that this was a Scottish tradition. We are Scotch-Irish, so maybe this is where Grandma McMillion came by this tradition.

Can you leave a comment telling us New Year's superstitions you grew up with? And, do you still go by them?

Or, perhaps leave a word for 2018 or a resolution you will try to keep.

Happy New Year!




7 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Janet. Black-eyed peas were supposed to bring prosperity, but all they ever brought me was gas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. I don't like black-eyed peas, but have grown to love cabbage.

      Delete
  2. My family usually had cabbage, but my aunt was the only one who put silver in hers. If you'd known my aunt, you'd know why. - lol - We added black-eyed peas when I began growing them, and I laid claim to the south. My wife doesn't stick by any tradition, but she sometimes cooks cabbage, sometimes not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here in North Alabama, we eat black-eyed peas and turnip greens (or collards). This tradition probably came from the depression years when that may have been all there was to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of either of these superstitions, though I enjoyed learning about them. I think the only one I have tried to follow is to have a clean home as January 1st rolls in so that the year will be happy and productive. Either way- it is a nice way to start the year. :)

    Happy New Year!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.