Friday, August 18, 2017

A Busy Summer

Summer is very busy around here.

I decided to take a break and show you a little of what we have been doing.

Be sure to click on all the links to recipes. I've included a lot.

We took a quick trip across the Ohio River to get corn to freeze.






They grow nice corn on the farms along the river.
So far we have put up 10 large and 8 small bags of corn cut off the cob. Go here to see how to make corn cob jelly and here to see how to freeze corn. .

Our grapes are doing great this year. I can't remember exactly when we planted our vines, but they are 20 to 30 years old, at least. One of the vines died last year. I was afraid we were going to lose all four of them. We were only able to pick a handful of grapes. When my husband pruned them early this year, he left the small vines growing from the old ones. Wow! We have a bumper crop.
Go here to see where I posted about making jelly and here to make concord grape pie. 

 


So far I have made four batches of jelly and put up three quarts of juice.


I don't know what I would do without this juicer, it is a time saver, for sure. It extracts the juice by steaming the fruit. I love it!


We also have a bumper crop of tomatoes this year. The vines are so large, I find it hard to see all the ripe tomatoes hidden in them. I usually peel, cut up and cook them for 20 minutes, allow to cool and then freeze them in quart freezer bags. We then use them to put in soups, chili and make creamed tomatoes. Click here for a recipe.

Our one plant of squash has outdid itself. I have made squash bread, delicious squash pies, casseroles, fried them and froze them.
Go here to see a couple of squash recipes I posted a few years ago.  I'm not really crazy about freezing squash, but I shredded a few and put 2 cup portions of them in pint freezer bags to use later in recipes. I also sliced some, froze them spread out on cookie sheets and then put them in bags. I'll get them out in the fall and winter, quickly cover them in corn meal and fry them while still frozen. 



I have also been picking blackberries and putting them in the freezer. Click here and here to see some recipes I've posted using blackberries.

To relax, we watch the birds and squirrels, visit our creek and watch the wildlife and decorate rocks (among other things).

















What have you all been doing this summer?

10 comments:

  1. With all there is to do, I could never understand folks who are perpetually bored! - lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, neither. I don't have time to get bored.

      Delete
  2. With all that's going on around us, I believe if people had to work hard like in the past, they wouldn't have time to protest everything. :) When my sister would get grouchy, Daddy would tell her, "You need work!"

    Since I was out of pocket during late spring and early summer, we didn't have much of a garden, but there are four rows of purple hull peas bursting with blooms so I'm looking forward to having them to put into the freezer. In the past, when the girls were little and at home, I canned and made jellies, but we just don't need the sugar now. I do admire your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree with you, Charlotte. My son's kindergarten teacher once told me, "A bored child is one that gets in trouble."

      Delete
  3. Lovely post Janet. Reminds me of all my mom used to do when I was a kid. Gardening, gathering, preserving and canning. A big job but so worthwhile when we got to eat the bounty. Love fresh food. You have a tradition with your family and I know they appreciate. Hugs, B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara. My mom and grandma did this, but more out of necessity. I don't have to, but I hate to see nature's bounty wasted. And it tastes much better than store bought.

      Delete
  4. Looks like you are having a wonderful summer! My garden was a bust, but looks like my muscadines are going to have a good crop, so I'll be putting up jelly from them in a few weeks. I used to freeze corn that we would buy over in Oklahoma every year, but haven't done it the past two years. I enjoyed your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mary. Enjoy your muscadines! I think I'm going to make a few concord grape pies today and put them in the freezer. Sorry your garden was a bust. Better luck next year.

      Delete
  5. Wow! What a fun post and so many great pictures and links. I used to can and freeze a lot. Now I just go to the supermarket. Good for you for doing all that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi Janet, I loved this post, and you have convinced me to freeze tomatoes in bags. Our bushes are bursting with crop. Thanks for the links, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.