Monday, April 17, 2017

The Colors of Spring have Arrived in the Hills of WV

We had a mild winter and after a few frosts, that the early buds had to dodge, Spring is here.

The dandelions and violets have arrived and are decorating my yard with their yellow and purple hues. As we drive the country roads, the redbuds and dogwoods brighten the landscape and the Sweet Williams decorate the woodland floors.

This old fella is hiding among the vinca. I believe this is vinca major. It doesn't die out in the winter and in early spring their beautiful purple flowers arrive. But, watch out! They can take over. I just pulled out a ton of these, you couldn't even see the hostas growing among them. But don't worry they keep growing back.


I have four bleeding hearts. This one got stunted a little from the cold weather, but this beautiful, delicate flower is now taking off. 


I have two lilac bushes - a purple and a white one. I love the scent that flows with the breeze and tickles my nose when I stroll through our yard.


I love watching these little creatures grow. They are so amazing!


Here is a field of ferns growing down by our building.
 

Hostas, hostas, everywhere!

It won't be long until my poppies, peonies, snowball bush and irises burst into color.

And check out my sidebar. I am tickled pink with the blurb Homer Hickam wrote about my new MG book, Duck and Cover.

What is bringing color to your yard?


 

20 comments:

  1. Interesting and beautiful, Janet! We're passed the redbud and dogwood stage and going full steam ahead with the irises. Yesterday they were so pretty but after some wind and rain overnight, they look a bit weary. Bleeding hearts are beautiful flowers for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlotte. You're a little ahead of us here. My iris's are getting close to opening up.

      Delete
  2. Lovely! It's certainly a gorgeous time of year. We have some tulips, redbud, bleeding heart and a few other things popping out. And lots of colorful birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are lots of birds. I don't have any tulips, wish I did have a few.

      Delete
  3. Love this time of year when the earth reawakens. Your flowers are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this time of year when the earth reawakens. Your flowers are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful flowers. Spring is a wonderful time of the year. Our pasture is abloom with wildflowers. Love to walk among them. The little doggie is a cute one. Thanks for showing us your lovely world. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beverly, thanks for the comment. I just recently got the doggie at a yard sale.

      Delete
  6. Here's a Blog you might enjoy...
    I've been following for some time now!
    Pop over and meet Simon...the chipmunk..!
    =(^..^)=

    http://justcats-deb.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Janet,
    I can see I’m going to love this blog! Lilacs are one of my all-time favourite shrubs (are perhaps tree?) I’m also very fond of Hostas. The problem is the slugs love them too! Ours are looking lovely at the moment but in a couple of weeks they will be full of holes. I know lots of people put down slug pellets to combat them, but I’m afraid to use them in case the birds pick them up. I've planted the Hostas in grit and spread grit under and around them because I was told slugs won’t cross it, but they will and they do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara. Glad you stopped by. My hostas are getting some holes in them, too, but I haven't seen any slugs. I thought maybe bugs were eating them. I hope you check out my vintage posts, too. I think you'll like them.

      Delete
  8. Such pretty pictures! I love when everything starts blooming in my yard (and in the yards of others). I love to see colors springing up. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your flowers are lovely, and so is your yard art. My lilac bush bloomed early then we had a frost, so it was a short blooming season this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,Donna. Thank you. There have been a few years when my lilac bush got bit by frost, too. I hate it when that happens.

      Delete
  10. Love this time of year when the earth reawakens.


    เย็ดสาว

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.