Saturday, January 14, 2012

Birds - God's Gift on a Snowy Day



It snowed and our bird friends put on a show. Our finches visited the salad bar.



The table was solid ice and the blue jays just slid on in for take out. . .


picked up their order. . .

 

and flew away!

The comical looking titmouse partook of his share of the meal.

 

The cardinal decided to just sit and look gorgeous!


 I think these little fellows are so cute! Know what they are? Hint: Their name  is in the list below.

 

 We just love watching the birds! To name a few, we have cardinals, blue jays, titmice, red-bellied woodpeckers, downy woodpeckers, wrens, purple and yellow goldfinches, sparrows, juncos, starlings, doves, pigeons, and chickadees. 

They say birds have a knack for knowing when a winter storm is approaching.

If the feeders are jam-packed with birds, and if the birds linger until past their usual last-call time, you can bet bad weather is on the way. Birds are sensitive to atmospheric pressure, and the lows that precede a storm are a signal to stock up while the getting is good.

Are the birds eating you out of house and home this winter?

Remember if you are one of my writing friends, I am now posting over on Creative Writing in the Blackberry Patch. Come and follow my posts over there.


13 comments:

  1. Those are such great pics! I don't put out food for the birds but I'm in FL so they usually have plenty. The Robins come down in droves during winter. It's always cool to see them out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet.. I enjoyed all your pictures of the lovely birds. I am feeding as well and yes they are eating alot since this cold weather has moved in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our winter's been pretty warm so far, so I'm sure the birds are liking it. But now we're headed into a cold spell. I like the idea of putting out a plate of peanuts for the birds, but fear the squirrels will beat them to it and scoff them down. Do you have a problem with squirrels at the plate?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all this exciting activity at your feeders! Wow! Great photos of them too.

    Yes, the Old Tucson actors put on a really realistic show! And in this story-line there is a woman out seeking revenge. It was a lot of fun. Glad you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is the last one a junco? Our winter has been exceptionally mild so the birds haven't really been eating a ton of seed. Yet.

    Great pictures, I love the majestic cardinal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joanne - surprisingly we don't have a problem with squirrels. You would think we would with the nut trees we have in our area.
    Floweringmama - Yes it is a Junco. I love those little birds, they are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are enjoying your birds. Looks like they know your place is the best place in town to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love watching the birds. I love your blog. Hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pics!
    I have a finch feeder up and full and I can hear the finches out there, but they never visit the feeder. Not sure why. But I do love watching all the birds here on the farm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Janet! I love your bird pictures! They are so special. You have such a special way of capturing them and their little expressions. Thank you for sharing them! I happy you are enjoying your snow. Have a wonderful afternoon! Delisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Janet,
    Are you famous yet? I'm waiting, so let me know.
    Love the bird pictures. They are so much fun to watch, I didn't know they liked peanuts in the shells.
    Nancy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such good pictures! I love to watch the birds too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.