Monday, July 14, 2014

Lady Bug Yard Art


We made a lady bug!

Okay, I'm not sure what we made it out of - but it was a steel cover or lid of some sort. This was 'found,' discarded salvage. We like to recover and reuse stuff around here.
 We painted the inside and outside with red spray paint.

 We let it dry and covered it with painter's tape, and using a canning lid as a template, we drew circles for the lady bug spots. We also drew her head and a line down the back.

 My son carefully went around the markings with a razor blade and then tore off the tape.

 We then spray painted it black.

This is what it looked like when the paint dried and we took off the tape.


Somehow my pics disappeared where I took of us making the antennae. What we did was use heavy duty wire and bent them to shape. Then we inserted wooden balls that I had in my craft supplies. The balls already had a hole drilled in them. If you have some that don't, just drill a hole in them to insert into the end of the wires. Paint the balls black.

Then my son used a drill bit and drilled holes to insert the wire into. He then welded the tips of the wire on the underside. 

Finished lady bug in my flower garden in front of my porch.

I just love her! 

Look around and see if you can find something around your house that can be used to make a lady bug with.  

Use your imagination and see the possibilities in things. Recycling old items can be fun!

I found on the internet where they used golf balls for small ones and used tires for large ones.
You can also transform rocks into painted lady bugs!

P.S. I would like to give credit to my son Andrew who did most of the work on this project.

Do you like lady bugs? 

What kind of yard art do you have?


6 comments:

  1. Oh Look you made a lady bug. How cute is that? Very creative.
    Nancy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Becky. We love her, too. Our own 'pet' ladybug.

      Delete
  3. How cute and inventive. I just love your ladybug. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.