Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Along Country Roads

I glanced in a quote book this morning. It's called The Quotable American.
I stumbled upon this quote. . .

The interstate highway system is a wonderful thing. It makes it possible to go coast to coast without seeing anything or meeting anybody. CHARLES KURALT, A LIFE ON THE ROAD


How true that is. The interstate will get you where you want to go a lot faster, but it's the boring way to go.

I'm getting spring fever and yearn to go on road trips. Down our country roads to sights unseen from the interstate.

I haven't traveled this year, so I'm posting pictures of places visited in the past.


Cool tunnels along an old road.



Berdines 5 & Dime provides you with a trip into the past.



Coal tipples with loaded railroad cars rumbling past.


John Henry . . . folklore, legend or real person. What do you think?



An impressive mountain of rock jutting upwards toward the sky.



Slowing down a little and taking it easy.



Have you been to any of these sights before? Take a guess and tell me where they are.

When you go on vacation this year, take a trip off the beaten path, away from the fast interstates.

Take a country road, you'll be glad you did.

12 comments:

  1. Me too, Janet.
    The only ones I know is Seneca Rocks and Amish country in Ohio...I've been to both.
    Hey, if you and Andrew go on another road trip....invite me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of your blog, you have done a really nice job decorating. I think it is time for a few road trips too.

    Have a Terrific Tuesday
    from Roberta Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Raggedy, I thought it was about time I got rid of those snowmen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janet,
    The coal tipple looks familiar. I want a road trip to West Virginia. I'm going this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been to any of these. Although, I have seen plenty of coal laden train cars. I lived near railroad tracks where I grew up in WV.
    I would rather drive the country road anywhere.
    I love when I befriend a local and they tell me the best places to go. I learned of the best steak house from a local at Myrtle Beach.
    You could almost cut it with a fork. Delicious!!
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, Seneca Rocks...always a welcome site. To me in my travels, it means I'm almost home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know Berdine's is in Harrisville, WV. My sister lives in Great Cacapon, WV. Our family hails from Rockingham County in Harrisonburg, VA so we love the beauty of the country. I've seen that tunnel before, but can't remember where.

    Thanks for visiting my blog to see the snow pictures from our favorite place. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recognize and have visited most of them Janet. Photos of Seneca Rocks are on my blog, along with some og John Henry's statue and the Great Bend tunnel (it's name was not the Big Bend tunnel as the song gives it). The tunnel you show could be the Dingess Tunnel and we certainly had an adventure there, but it was pitch dark! Berdyne's is one of my favorite stops when we go through Harrisville. And the Amish buggy could be many places; I've seen them in Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio and I think in New York state.

    The coal tipple looks like so many in WV--I saw some huges ones in southern Kanawha and Boone counties when we visited the places where Larry grew up.

    Nice virtual road trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. new look? I like it. Love this quote, SO true! I love to take 'the long way' home and really don't like having to be hurried. Great post:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your comments. the tunnel, by the way, is on the rail trails in North Bend State Park. And the coal tipples are along Rt 60, probably in the Cabin Creek area. We passed them on the way to Bridge Day last year, traveling on the old road.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post, Janet. I have not seen the tunnel you pictured--one more thing to find in this beautiful state.

    Loved the washday post too. I need to do one with my washday collection: I have the old handcranked washer, the wringers and stand, tubs, wood ironing board, a collection of washboards, and cast iron sad irons. Somewhere. I'd have to gather it all up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Janet-I love your photos! I love to ride down country roads too-I'd rather ride than drive-that way I can look all I want!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.