Sunday, October 31, 2010

Pear Crazy!


Our little pear tree has produced many, many pears this year.
I've been picking them off the ground as they fall, but many were still
far up on the tree and out of reach. Our tree doesn't shake very well, so
my son took a big long poll and reached way up.



We gathered all the pears that fell to the ground!


We canned 19 quarts of pears. . .


and we sliced pears.


Isn't this pretty. . .


I filled up a big pot and cooked them and put them through this wonderful invention. . .


to make pear butter.



This is the first time I ever made pear butter. . . and I love it! I think I might even like it as much as I do apple butter. We made 15 pints.

Here is the recipe I used.

Fill up a large pan with peeled and diced pears
Add a very small amount of water and cook.
Put the cooked pears through a SQUEEZO STRAINER
Measure 8 cups of the pear sauce back into the large pan
Add 4 cups of sugar and 1 1/4 tsp. of cinnamon and
cook for 20 minutes.

Put into sterilized pint jars and boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

You now have delicious pear butter. It is not as spicy as apple butter, but it tastes very good!
We liked it so much we made 3 batches of it.

I couldn't have done it without my son, Andrew.
Thank goodness he loves gadgets and he got a kick out of using the apple peeler and the SQUEEZO STRAINER!

If you don't have a SQUEEZO STRAINER, you could put the cooked pears in a blender or through a food mill.

I still have a lot of pears left, I'm going to make some pear bread to put in the freezer and then I am not making anything else with them.

8 comments:

  1. Your pearbutter sound divine. have you ever just canned pears in a simple syrup. We love them that way as well. They are easy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pear Butter sounds delicious. Yum.
    I love pears anyway so I'm sure I'd love that.

    We're making lots of applesauce these days from apples bought at a nearby apple barn. Macintosh are my faves to make sauce from.
    We don't can it but eat it as soon as I make a small batch.

    Enjoy reading what you are doing!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds good, Janet. Our tree is loaded like yours--it's about 35 years old and pretty tall and I think we've picked over 20 bushels off that one tree this year. We've made pear cider, I canned 14 quarts, and made pear conserve and spiced pear jam. We still have 2 bushels in the cellar and the tree still has pears. Larry has been feeding the drops to the chickens--they love that!

    I might have to try the pear butter. I have an old-time peeler, and a Squeezo that looks just like the one you have. Actually, come to think of it, I have 2 Squeezos, and two peelers. Never mind how that came to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susanna, aren't those Squeezos great! Ours was given to us. It makes the job so easy. The butterflies, moths and yellowjackets loved our pears, every time I'd go under the tree they were all over the pears sucking the juice out.I didn't know moths and butterflies would do that. Kim, we did can pears in a light syrup, 19 quarts of them. Barb, I love applesauce, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy the pears have blessed us all this year baby.

    If ya haven't already, pop over to Pioneer Woman's place and grab her recipe for pear calfouti....looks delish!

    Have fun!!! :o)

    God bless ya and have a magnificent Monday sweetie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pear butter looks very good and I would like to try that next season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goodness tha is a lot of pears! We used to can when I lived at home. I would have to learn all over again.
    Your garage sale finds a few posts down are nice. That big glass will look nice filled for Christmas.
    Nancy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have made pear butter before and I am like you, I like it almost as much as apple butter.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.