Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving Wishes, Memories and Recipes



Here is wishing everyone a happy Thanksgiving tomorrow.
I hope you get the chance  to slow down and enjoy this day with friends and family.

Thanksgiving would not be the same without our favorite foods.

Click here to find a recipe for this cheese ball.

 
Click here to find a recipe for sweet potato casserole.

Click here for a recipe for pecan pie muffins. This is a good substitute for pecan pie. And if you can't afford the pecans, click here and try a recipe for poor man's pecan pie!

My mom passed away in 1996 and I still miss her dearly, but she still lives in my heart.

She made the best turkey dressing! I try to make it like she did, but mine will never be as good as hers. She never had a recipe she went by, she just added this and that and it came out delicious. My husband and kids loved it and my kids ate spoonfuls of it before it went into the oven. If I had my druthers, I'd eat it without baking it, too.

What did the dish consist of? Mainly bags of herb stuffing mix/croutons (she sometimes used toasted bread and sage, too), chicken boiled and stripped  from the bone and cut up and cooked celery (and maybe onions). And be sure to add the delicious broth the chicken was cooked in. Stir. She cooked it in the oven for approx. 30 minutes or so. Cover it with foil 'til the last 15 minutes or so to brown lightly on top.

As you can see, the above recipe is filled with words such as approximate, or so and maybe. My husband's best advice is to be sure and make it moist. He loves moist dressings! So I make sure I put in lots of the chicken broth.

How do you make your dressing? Do you use oysters, cornbread or something else that makes it special?

Click over to my writing blog and read my kid's column for the November issue of Two-Lane Livin'.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted by Janet F. Smart on Writing in the Blackberry Patch.



 


6 comments:

  1. Having your mom in your memory is great for your traditional Thanksgiving celebration -- enjoy --- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. We usually spent Thanksgiving meals with my in-laws. Mama was disappointed I'm sure and what I'd give to spend the day with her now.

    I make a relatively good cornbread dressing using turkey broth; at least the kids like it! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't care for dressing, but if I must eat it, I prefer dry cornbread dressing, whereas my wife prefers moist oyster dressing! Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, Gorges, I can't believe you don't care for dressing. That is my husband's favorite part of the meal. Lil Red Hen, I bet your dressing is good. A Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could eat cold dressing for breakfast and be happier than the day I ate it warm. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have yet to find a recipe for stuffing as good as mom's. She was like your mom just adding this and that until it looked right.
    But I'll keep searching and experimenting until I get it right.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.