Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thanksgiving Recipes

I thought I'd re-post a few of my recipes for Thanksgiving.

Have you checked out the price of pecans lately?  If so, and you don't want to shell out the money for them, check out this recipe for Poor Man's Pecan Pie. Instructions can be found here on my site.


And what would Thanksgiving be without a sweet potato casserole. This is absolutely the best one I have ever tasted.


SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE

4 LBS sweet potatoes

Cook sweet potatoes. Drain and mash with mixer and add the following ingredients:

1 cup of sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup melted butter

Mix together and put in baking dish.

Mix the following ingredients for topping:

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Spoon topping on and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Another good recipe is Pecan Pie Muffins. They are delicious!
You bake these in the mini muffin pans.

Pecan Pie Muffins

1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs
2/3 cup melted butter
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients in a bowl with a wooden spoon. Pour into a greased mini-muffin pan, filling each cup 2/3 full. Bake 12 to 15 minutes.

Go here to check out the step by step pictures. While you are there check out my recipe for Nuts and Bolts. They are good to enjoy while waiting on the turkey to get ready.

Cheese Balls are also good to munch on while waiting for the turkey.


FESTIVE CHEESE BALL

2 - 8oz packages cream cheese
8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 t. Worcestershire Sauce
1 t. lemon juice
finely chopped walnuts or pecans

Combine the cream cheese and the cheddar cheese. Add the Worcestershire Sauce and lemon juice. Mix well with fork.  Shape into a ball, then roll in finely chopped nuts of your choice. In the one below,  I shaped it like a pumpkin and added pretzel sticks and pepper slices for decoration.



Well, are you hungry yet?

6 comments:

  1. No fair - I'm starving :)
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loved these Pumpkin Pie muffins from the first time I made them. I'm making the Sweet Potato casserole for Thanksgiving. I prefer the nutty topping over the marshmellows.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cheese ball looks delicious! I hope you had a great day yesterday, Janet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipes, Janet! Our daughter made a black bottom pecan pie yesterday...chocolate chips and then the pecan filling on top. Oh, it was SOOOO good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. pecans and ham are both VERY expensive right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes the price of everything is getting higher these days-especially pecans! The recipes sound yummy : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.