Monday, June 13, 2011

Yard Sale Goodies

Last Thursday we went to a few yard sales. We had a real good time buying items that we really didn't need, if you know what I mean. But it is hard to pass up neat things at such good prices.

I got this red basket and the items in it - a blue glass fish with a cork in his mouth ( I think I might put it outside as decoration in one of my flower beds), two blue bottles, a copper water dipper, a pretty butterfly (I think I will put it outside in my butterfly bush), a wooded angel, 2 DVD's and a painted enamelware percolator. I saw those percolators online and it said they were made in Sweden. It is so pretty.


 
And, I also got this black basket and everything in it - milk glass salt and pepper shakers, a jar lifter used when canning, and a vintage kitchen utensil. I think it is used for tenderizing meat. Anyone out there know for sure?
 

I got both baskets and everything in them for $5.
I also got this small quilt rack. The doll quilts are ones that I made a few years ago. I think I will stain the wooden rack to make it look nicer.

 
Below is a wooden bread basket, large old green vase, milkglass vase and glass measuring cup.
I have already painted the breadbox red to match my kitchen.

 
And last, but not least, my husband just had to get this.
Why, I don't know.
An old potty chair with an enamel pot for $1.
I guess I could put flowers in it.

 
I got a few other things, but didn't post everything here. I got a bunch of books and a lot of them were from a free box.
We didn't really get to go to any sales on Friday and Saturday because I went to the WVWriter's Conference at Cedar Lakes.
More about that on Writing Wednesday.


12 comments:

  1. I love your treasures, especially the quilt rack. I have several in my house with my quilts on display. I really love those quilts they remind me of my square patterns. I need to stain one or two of my racks.
    I love yard sales. Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing about it Janet you know where to shop! I have no idea what the kitchen gadget is. I do like the milk glass salt and pepper shakers and the other things you got!

    Have a Great Day!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet, that potty chair is priceless! It would be adorable with a plant in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What pretty things you found. I love the quilt rack, and the idea of changing the display of quilts seasonally. Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look like some good bargins! Sweet coffee pot and potty chair :) I can see the potty chair as a planter!
    Warmly,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yard sales are a glorified Treasure Hunt, so no wonder you enjoy them. I love your finds, especially the baskets and the potty chair. The chair WILL be so cute with flowers in it.
    Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I just wanted to sy that I have fish like yours but mine is green and I use it in the bathroom to keep mouthwash in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Sweet Tea! I love your yard sale finds. Something about looking over your found treasures makes me miss my grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always find the neatest things at yard sales! Absolutely love that old-fashioned potty chair.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I saw the title of your post I could hardly wait to see what you had found. Really neat stuff! I especially like the potty chair idea for flowers and your doll quilts on the rack.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I barely missed meeting you at the Writer's weekend. Sarah pointed you out to me after I discovered your name and blog on a pencil (thanks for the pencil, btw).

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always find the best things-makes me wish I lived close enough to go with you : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.