Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Oh, Nuts!



Hickory nuts and black walnuts, that is.

How do you get this bag of black walnuts. . .


and, this box of hickory nuts. . .




to turn into this?




and this?





All you need are the nuts gathered from out in the woods, a hammer, a hard surface and nut picks. I always crack my walnuts out on our driveway.I put a clean rag underneath, for easier clean up. You will find that black walnut shells sometimes have a tendency to fly in all directions when you hit them with a hammer. You will  be picking up pieces of shell from here, there and everywhere when you are finished.


I have been sitting out on the concrete steps of our front porch and cracking the hickory nuts.

I have found that if you hold the hickory nut on it's side this way, you will get the best chance of getting the big butterfly pieces of the nuts. Don't hit it on the fat, flat side, but on the skinny side, if you know what I mean.




This is what you like to end up with. The big butterfly shaped pieces.



I have already cracked a quart of the hickory nuts. There are still lots left to crack, I should end up with at least another quart or more when I am finished. My son has been helping me with the hickory nuts.

I still have a lot of black walnuts to crack. I'm going to have to start cracking them in the garage, since our weather is supposed to take a turn for the worse.

I posted here on how to hull the black walnuts.

You can use these nuts in just about all your baking projects. They are delicious in your fudge, cookies, banana breads and cakes. I haven't did it yet, but they say you can use hickory nuts in place of pecans in your favorite pecan pie recipe. I think I am going to try that. My neighbor says her mom used to make the best hickory nut pie! She told me she thought she made it  like pecan pie and just used the hickory nuts instead.

Have any of you every made hickory nut pie? If so, tell us your recipe.

10 comments:

  1. I know how to turn a sack of black walnuts into a jar of beautiful nuts.
    LOTS OF HARD WORK. I remember helping my mom. I loved when she did them herself. SHe'd put them into the freezer and give them to me when I came for a visit. GOOD MOM.
    Blessings to you Janet for doing all the hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of work, Janet. Good for you to get so many done. Larry didn't get to gather many this year, so we're nut-free unfortunately. I've never made a hickory nut pie, but Matthew sent me a hickory cake recipe that was amazing. A lot of work, but delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was a kid we loved hickory nuts but I haven't had them since. I seem to remember how hard they were to shell. :) Wish I had some today though - they sure bring back memories of Mama and Daddy. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make a hickory nut pie and you are right I just make the pecan pie inside and use the hickory nut in placew of the pecans. Also make a parline that I use hickory nuts in and they are wonderful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet they are so yummy. You must have incredible patience...I bet it takes some time to crack all those nuts. Good for you Janet :) Happy Thanksgiving,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had an aunt who made hickory nuts pies. I do believe they were just like pecan pies, but with hickory nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a lot of nuts Janet! Lots of hard work too! I don't think I've ever had a hickory nut before. I do love pecans and walnuts!

    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'Round here we run over the black walnuts with a vehicle to crack 'em!

    Did ya know I was raised in Stockton, Missouri...the Black Walnut Capital of the World! Just sayin......

    God bless ya and have the best Thanksgiving Day ever filled with love, laughter and pie baby...loads of pie!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love comments! Leave one and brighten my day. If you are signing as Anonymous, please sign your name, so I will know who you are.